This word keeps coming to mind these days.
Bittersweet.
If you haven't already heard it through the grapevine I'd like to be able to share with you...
We are moving.
Brandon and I have felt the Lord pressing on our hearts for a while now to shift in our ministry mindset. It has been almost audible at times for both of us. The change is to shift from being focused on traditional youth ministry to one focused on families of students. To teach parents how to disciple their own children rather than relying on the "church" to do the job they as parents are called by scripture to do. To help the parents be the "A team" while the church is the "B team".
The move has come about through the opportunity to be apart of starting a new ministry in a church very dear to our hearts. It's the church we grew up being apart of. Yes, we'll be moving back home to Fairfield. Brandon will be the Young Life Discipleship Pastor, pastor of families and students from K-12th grade.
We are thrilled! The things we foresee God doing there are great and mighty as we partner with parents to help them disciple and train their children. When we went in view of a call, we loved seeing some familiar faces along with some we were seeing for the first time. They seem excited and ready to embark on this new territory, eager to see Christ be the center of every home. My friends, that is the "sweet" part.
The "bitter" part is that we love the people here. We have built some of the strongest relationships we've ever had here over the past few years. I ache when I think about leaving them behind. I know that as Christ Followers we will never have to say goodbye. For I know we will meet again. And not just in heaven, we're not moving that far away! But the truth is, we won't get to live in close community with them anymore. Yes, this is bitter indeed.
I have been so blessed. I love my friends deeply.
This has definitely been one of those un-blog-able things I mentioned a while back. But now, it's here. It is no longer just a possibility. It is real. It is happening. The reality has settled in just long enough to be recognized, packed up and moved.
My emotional status changes by the minute as we get ready to make this transition. In getting our house ready to sell, I had to paint over my bright walls to make them "neutral". This was not easy or fun. I think I'll post before and after pictures sometime and show you what I'm talking about.
Our house is on the market. It's uncomfortably clean (in case we get a call from the realtor saying she wants to show it). We have some boxes packed in the garage and many more waiting to be packed. Thankfully we will not have to wait on our house to sell to be able to move. The church is allowing us to live in their mission house while we are in transition and selling our house. This was a HUGE, Praise the LORD! He is so good. I am thankful He is a God of details.
Brandon is currently in Mexico building a house (the trip had been on the calendar long before all of this was final). It is his last trip with our church family here. He told me he couldn't have picked a better trip to wrap up his time here.
When he returns Sunday afternoon, I hope to have a lot of packing done. That is... if I don't spend all of my time blogging like I'm doing now when I should be packing something. And just in case you think my husband has left me to do it all alone, He hasn't! I have had so many friends offer to come help pack or to watch the boys while I pack. I am taking a few up on their offers. They have all been tremendous help already!
Our church family here is throwing us a going away party this coming Sunday evening. I am looking forward to loving on them and being loved on by them. I am not looking forward to the tears, I know they will surely come.
I need to wrap this up and get back to packing. Moving truck will be here on Wednesday. That's 5 days. Crazy.
Yes, bittersweet says it all.
bittersweet indeed. praise God that friendships with believers are eternal. but i will miss the visits- separating T and Sam so that they don't push each other off the swingset... it has been so good to know a mama of many boys- it has helped me to adjust to the rough and tumble boy life after so long in girl haven. enjoyed our gourmet picnic tonight tremendously, but just realized that you didn't get the milk. know that we love you and your sweet family- that we support you in this move- and cannot wait to hear how God is working in your family's life and the lives that you will be touching in Fairfield. You have certainly blessed our family. love you.
ReplyDeleteDid I just discover why you haven't responded to my address request on Facebook? I'm really excited and just a hint sad for you. I'll be praying for you guys too during this transition.
ReplyDeleteLet me know when the dust settles. It might be really nice to come out for a visit. (This is me rudely inviting myself over.)
Amanda is so excited you guys will be close by! I know it's bittersweet, but I'm excited for you guys.
ReplyDeleteI second everything Laura said! How selfish I am when I long for yall to stay here, just walking distance from us! I praise God that He has truly given yall a heart to serve Him by serving families and I know that He has awesome stuff planned for yall! Am I sad - yes! Will I miss yall - terribly! But I praise God that we will keep in touch! Thank you for being the amazing friend you have been over the last 2 years! God is good in providing an amazing Mother and Wife for me to learn how to be a Godly Mom! I pray many blessings on yall in this new journey! Love yall dearly!
ReplyDeleteLeanna, I woke up thinking of you guys, today. Praying all goes smoothly. We love you so much.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear yall are leaving Beaumont but excited that God has been so faithful to direct your paths to a position in the type of ministry He is calling you to.
ReplyDelete"The steps of a man are established by the LORD when he delights in his way..." -Proverbs 37:23