Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

life happens.



Can I share a verse that has been on my heart and mind lately? 

Count it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,
knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 
-James 1:2&3

I have heard this passage many times in sermons, bible studies and referenced in books. My favorite has been listening to my husband teach on it. Not just because he's my husband or because of his wonky and absurd dry erase board drawing skills. But because he tells it like it is. 

The truth is we are going to encounter trials. Or "pot holes" in our "road of life" as Brandon says it for his weird fingerless gorilla man who is walking on a road.

James uses the word when. Not if, possibly or maybe. He says when.

At some point we will all encounter trials. There is a gospel preached that says, 'Come to Jesus and your life will be perfect. You'll have all the money you want and all the things your heart desires. Oh, and you'll never have to worry about your health, because Jesus loves you and wants you to be comfortable.'

Hmm... I'm guessing that person uses the bible like a buffet and takes only what sounds good to them in that moment. Obviously they haven't taken James' Holy Spirit inspired words into account. Not to mention many other verses that talk about life as a Christian that don't mention prosperity as one of the attributes we receive from the Holy Spirit.

Let's stick with James for now...

James used the wording "various trials" meaning trials can come in all shapes and sizes. They can be as small as stumping your toe or as large as losing a loved one. 

He says for the believer (and even more so, a bond-servant of Christ) this is how we are to handle these various trials...

with JOY.

Count it all joy.

Now, I'm not sure when the last time you faced a trial was. It may have been a day, week, month, year or many years ago. I could have been small or large. Was it easy to find the joy in it?

I personally happen to be sitting in a pot hole right now. I found out yesterday I have two slipped discs in my lower back. It's definitely a pot hole alright. And it's a doozy at that.

Can I just say... I am struggling. I'm in pain. I can't do much for myself and it will be a long process for a complete recovery. I am overwhelmed that everyday things I could do even two days ago aren't possible for my body to accomplish today. 

I have found myself praying, "God, I don't understand."

And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you
may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all
generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
-James 1:4&5

I think James knew we (I) would need the wisdom to understand. And so he says, if you don't understand then ask God to give you the wisdom you need. 

I have and will continue to ask for wisdom. I don't know the reason for this yet. I trust that the Lord has a plan that is better than anything I could ever come up with. Trusting His Word...

And we know that God causes all things to work together for 
good for those who love God, for those who 
are called according to His purpose.
-Romans 8:28


   
Also, from the passage in James, it's clear He is allowing this trial to produce more endurance in my life so that as I put my faith and trust in Him, I may be complete and lacking nothing through Him. 

Okay, back to the joy thing... I am thankful that joy is not something I have to muster up. I can't try to be more joyful. Joy is something that has been placed inside of me by the Holy Spirit. Even as I go through things that are painful, uncomfortable and are hard to understand, I can have joy in knowing its all a part of God's plan. As I spend more time in the Word, and dwell on the truths of who God is and what He desires to do within me, I am more joyful. It just happens. 

Joy is the overflow.

Even though it's been a challenge at times, I've been seeking for ways to see the blessings in this situation. Here are a few things that have truly blessed me once I opened my eyes for them over the past few days:

• I have been loved on by my husband in ways I didn't think he would ever have to. Has your husband ever put your clothes on, top to bottom (in a very non-sexual manner) AND applied your deodorant for you? It's been humbling. I have always known he meant what he said when we vowed "for better or for worse" but when you're in the middle of the worst, you get a chance to follow through, replacing words in a vow made years ago with actions of love.

• Tristan (only 4) prayed the sweetest prayer of healing over me the other night before bed. He prayed while looking out his window toward "God's star." He said he likes praying when he can see the star. This isn't something we taught him, I think it's something he picked up from watching Hermie the Caterpillar, when he prays to God you usually see a star, the sun or moon in the sky. Something we'll have to address, God's whereabouts not being on a star or the moon... but the prayer was pure and full of love. He want his mommy to feel better. Oh and by the way, the "star" was a blinking cellular tower :)

• We have had help with the boys from our family here in town. Brandon's mom and sister took the boys most of the day yesterday which enabled us to go to the chiropractor and get some rest afterward. Not having to worry if the boys were being taken care of was a huge help. Having family close is something I don't want to take for granted.

• Seeing the body of Christ functioning like it should. Our church family is reaching out to help in many ways. I've had so many offers from people to babysit, come and help around the house, bring meals, etc. Today a friend of mine (with a hint from my hubs) brought me my favorite sandwich and side of soup for lunch. Nothing cheers up one's day like a Turkey Todd. And another friend, who we'd planned on joining for dinner at their house, brought over dinner for us tonight. What a blessing.


Seeing these blessings has helped me keep my eyes on Him. I know He is good. His plan is perfect. And He gives us the wisdom, strength and grace to endure the trials we face. 

Lord, may I be found faithful to trust in You
as you carry me through this trial and onto the next. 
May you receive all the glory and honor forever and ever. 
Amen. 






*Picture credit goes to my awesomely talented brother in law, David Templin.

2 comments:

  1. So humbled by your words and those of James. Thanks for sharing. Since Wesley has been sick these past few nights I know it has been rough on Kari and a little less so on me. But Wesley is sooo uncomfortable! It is good to be reminded of God's Truth. Thank u for that. We are praying for u and B. Love
    Jeremy and Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post! I found out today that I will be losing my job. I needed these words of encouragement and will definitely be looking for the joys as I go through this trial.

    ReplyDelete