Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Just like Daddy

I saw an add a while back where a little boy was wearing his Daddy's shirt, tie and shoes. I got the idea to dress all of our guys up in their Daddy's clothes and this was our surprise present for Daddy for Father's Day. It was fun dressing them up and they LOVED it! They giggled and talked about being just like Daddy. They were fascinated at how much bigger his clothes were than theirs. They talked about how much they want to look like Daddy and be strong like Daddy when they "get bigger".

P, "I'm gonna have a beard too! Just like Daddy." 
T, "Well, I'm gonna have BIG STRONG muscles like Daddy."
P, "OH... me too, Twristan! "

It was really a special thing to listen to. They love their Daddy and want to be just like him. The funny thing is, no matter what they do, they will end up being a lot like him. They already are in so many ways!

Keeping this picture a secret wasn't as easy for some as it was for others. Tristan understands the idea of secrets for the sake of a surprise and did a great job waiting in anticipation until we revealed the picture to his Daddy. Peyton, on the other hand, is nearly incapable of keeping secrets. I say nearly because sometimes he forgets about it and the secret is safe. This time though, he did not forget and he so badly wanted to share this special news with his Daddy. Thankfully, Peyton is 3 and at times has a hard time getting out what he's really trying to say in words that work together so you can understand them. Because of that, there was an idea floating around in Brandon's head that he was getting something to do with his clothes for his birthday... :) I guess, the secret was safe after all.

Brandon, of course, loved the picture. He shed a few tears seeing them in his clothes and even hearing their stories about being like him. It is overwhelming to know you have 3 (and soon to be 4) people striving to be just like you.

We talk often about the weight of our job as parents. We are to disciple our children through the Word and through our actions and deeds, teaching them what it means (and looks like) to follow Christ and serve Him as the King of our lives. It is NOT an easy job.

They watch us. They mimic us. They want to be just like us.

Does that scare the mess out of anyone else?!? I mean, seriously! Who wants their children to make the same mistakes they did/do?

In the midst of my near panic over the thought, God brought these verses to my mind:

"Therefore, be imitators of God as dearly loved children and live in
love, just as Christ also loved us and gave himself for us, a 
sacrificial and fragrant offering to God." 
Ephesians 5:1-2

Thankfully, I have someone to imitate too. Just like my boys imitate their Daddy, I'm supposed to imitate my Father, through following His son. Living a life of love and self sacrifice, all to the glory of God.

I pray that as I follow Christ, making Him the center of me, imitating Him even as a child would... My children will continue to see less of me and more of Him. As they try to be like us, they end up being like Him.

Here's a sobering thought: Even if I don't follow Christ, strive to be like Him, or try to teach my children to follow Him, with intent to disciple them through Truth... I am still teaching them. Leading by example. And they will still follow me.

1 comment:

  1. This is a BEAUTIFUL post! You always write so well! Thankyou for the encouragement in this post! Your boys are beautiful and you and Brandon are awesome parents! We miss the Davis family badly!

    ReplyDelete